PathWays PA’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides free tax preparation to low-income filers so they can access valuable tax refunds and credits.
By volunteering only 3-4 hours a week during tax season, you alone can return over $30,000 to local working families! PathWays PA is looking for volunteers during the day, afternoons, evenings or Saturdays. No tax experience is required; free IRS-certified tax training is provided.
VITA volunteers will file tax returns, bringing thousands of dollars back to low-income working families; become an IRS-certified tax preparer; and get their own tax return filed for free.
- Successfully pass open book IRS certification exam on required tax law knowledge
- Prepare federal & state returns.
- Conduct thorough interview with tax filer to obtain necessary information to prepare accurate return
- Review returns prepared by other volunteers to ensure accuracy
- Treat tax clients with respect and maintain their privacy & confidentiality
- Provide information about other programs, such as financial education & counseling, FAFSA, SNAP (food stamps), LIHEAP, Healthcare and asset development strategies that tax filers may be able to utilize.
- Commit to a set schedule of 3-4 hours each week during tax season to assist our tax clients. (January 22-April 17th)
- No tax experience is required; free IRS-certified tax training is provided.
- Comfort using computers
- Good interpersonal skills and comfort with a wide range of people;
- Strong interest in helping low-moderate income people become self-sufficient by accessing job supports (tax credits, financial counseling, SNAP, affordable health & child care, housing and education);
- Dependable, hard worker
Benefit to Volunteers
- Learn new skills that will benefit you beyond the VITA Program and make you more marketable
- Become an IRS certified preparer
- Help people access their full refunds and federal and state tax credits
- Save filers hundreds of dollars in tax preparation fees
- Gain a sense of pride as you provide a valuable service to the community
Participate in an enjoyable and rewarding experience
- Multiple locations available throughout Philadelphia and Delaware County
Investing your time in our VITA program is an investment in your local families and communities!
For more information about becoming a VITA volunteer, contact Emily Moran at email@example.com or at 610.543.5022.